- To provide a fair, consistent, and comprehensive evaluation of each athlete’s overall skill-set.
- To ensure that all athletes are selected to a team appropriate for their level play
- To form balanced and competitive teams where the athletes can develop and participate equitably.
- To provide a reliable and consistent process so that all athletes and parents know what to expect throughout the evaluation process.
It is our intent to ensure all elements of the evaluation process are as open and transparent as possible. We rely almost exclusively on evaluation scores provided by external evaluators when placing players. Final rankings are based on a combination of skills, hockey knowledge and playing ability. We will tabulate scores after each evaluation and begin player movements for the next session.
Evaluation ice times and the focus of those evaluations will be posted online under Evaluations at the Crowfoot Hockey website. It is the athlete's responsibility to ensure they attend all assigned sessions. Crowfoot will not contact individuals with their ice itmes. Individual athlete evaluation ice times will be posted to the Crowfoot website listed by Hockey Canada Player Hockey IDs (the same Hockey ID that was used at registration). We strive to have individual athlete times available no later than 24 hours before their next evaluation time.
A check-in table will be set up near the lobby where players will obtain their pinnie. Pinnies must be returned at the end of their session. Please make sure players are at the Arena and ready to go at least 15 minutes prior to their ice time in order to check-in and receive their pinnie. Full hockey equipment is required for all evaluations. Players may not participate if they are missing any equipment. Mouth guards are mandatory for U9 through to U18 levels, except for goalies. Players are also required to wear Crowfoot colored jerseys and socks to all evaluations. Please note the upstairs balcony will be closed to all Spectators for the entirety of the evaluations process. Only evaluations-related volunteers, evaluators and Coordinators will be permitted on the balcony.
If a player does not attend all of their evaluations, he/she may be placed in a lower division than their ability level, however in the event that your player is sick in any capacity we ask that you provide a doctor's note and do not attend the evaluations. If your player cannot attend it is important that you contact your Age Division Coordinator. Your player will not be penalized for missing an evaluation for a pre-documented illness. Aside from injury or illness, we do ask that all hockey players make a commitment to attend all of these evaluation sessions. Parents are welcome to contact the Age Division Coordinator with questions or for information. Please note the Coordinator will only answer questions pertaining to your child.
U13-U18: Declared postions (Forward, Defence, Goalie) may not change once evaluations have begin. It is the player's responisibility to ensure that they registered for their desired position. Prior to evaluations, if changes are required, please contact email@example.com
We encourage community members to ask questions (contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your Age Division Coordinator) rather than deal with rumours or speculation that inevitably occur when people don't fully understand the evaluation process. Crowfoot Hockey officials will also be available at the arena to fully explain the process and answer questions as evaluations progress.
Evaluation Overview - Goalies
In addition to the above evaluation overview, below is some goalie-specific information.
- Goalies will be assigned a pinnie to wear for all sessions. The pinnie number may or not change throughout evaluations.
- Full goalie equipment is required. Per Hockey Calgary, mouth guards are not mandatory for goalies.
- Goalies (Full Time and U11 Hybrid) are required to attend 2 Technical Skill sessions. Full Time goalies do not attend Player Technical Skill sessions unless requested by the goalie coordinator. U11 Hybrid Goalies are required to attend Player Technical Skill sessions dressed as players.
- Goalies are committed to play this position for the entire season, per Hockey Calgary regulations.
- If you are unable to attend a session for any reason, you must contract your goalie coordinator.
Our Goalie Coordinators are Tricia Gillis and Bryon Calon (email email@example.com) who can answer your questions. One or both of our Coordinators will be at each goalie evaluation and can discuss any of your concerns.
A parent may request a formal review of their child’s placement in writing to the Evaluations Team. The request should fully outline the reasons for the request.
What to expect in a review:
- Parents will be able to view their player’s scores for each session
- The Evaluation Team will review where the player placed within their group for each session, and where the player was ranked when teams were formed
- All documentation that is presented in the meeting remains with Crowfoot Hockey. Parents are not permitted to take any paperwork home.
All review requests must take place within one week of coach pick teams being posted. The cost of the review is $100. A meeting time will be set up once Crowfoot Hockey receives payment. Players are not permitted to attend the review.
- U7: 2 Technical Skills sessions
- U9: 2 Technical Skills sessions, 2 Games
- U11: 1 Technical Skills sessions, 3 Games, 1 Coach Pick Game. Full Time and Hybrid Goalies also attend 2 Technical Goalie sessions. Full Time Goalies do not attend the Player Technical Skills sessions.
- U13: 1 Technical Skills session, 3 Games, 1 Coach Pick Game. Full Time Goalies do not attend the Player Technical Skills sessions, but attend 2 Technical Goalie sessions.
- U15-U18: 4 Games, 1 Coach Pick Game. Full Time Goalies do not attend the Player Technical Skills sessions, but attend 2 Technical Goalie sessions.
Evaluation Skills Day Drills (Tentative)
The following skills day drills are tentative. They are subject to change at any time.
Optional Pre-skates (as listed in the schedule below) are not evaluated. They are presented here only to provide notice of dates and groupings.
2022/23 Evaluation Schedule (Tentative)
The following evaluation schedule is tentative. It is subject to change at any time.
|Age||Eval Day||Type||Date||Time Range||Groupings|
|U7||1||Skills||SEP-10||12:30 PM - 2:45 PM|
|U7||2||Skills||SEP-17||7:30 AM - 10:45 AM|
|U7||TF||Team Draft||SEP-18||Dalhousie Community Centre -|
|U7 Team Draft|
|U9||PS||Optional Preskates||SEP-06 to SEP-09||Varied|
|U9||1||Skills||SEP-10||8:45 AM - 12:15 PM|
|U9||2||Skills||SEP-11||1:30 PM - 5:00 PM|
|U9||3||Game||SEP-17||11:00 AM - 2:30 PM|
|U9||4||Game||SEP-18||9:15 AM - 12:45 PM||U9 Day 4 Groups|
|U11||PS||Optional Preskates||SEP-03 to SEP-06||Varied|
|U11||G1||Goalie Skills||SEP-07||5:30 PM - 7:30 PM|
|U11||G2||Goalie Skills||SEP-08||5:30 PM - 7:30 PM|
|U11||1||Skills||SEP-09||5:15 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U11||2||Game||SEP-11||9:45 AM - 1:15 PM|
|U11||3||Game||SEP-13||5:15 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U11||4||Game||SEP-16||4:00 PM - 7:30 PM|
|U11||5||Coach Pick Game||SEP-25 to SEP-27||Varied Times and Locations||U11 Coach Pick Groups|
|U13||PS||Optional Preskates||SEP-07 to SEP-12||Varied|
|U13||G1||Goalie Skills||SEP-15||7:45 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U13||G2||Goalie Skills||SEP-16||7:45 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U13||1||Skills||SEP-15||4:00 PM - 7:30 PM|
|U13||2||Game||SEP-17||2:45 PM - 6:15 PM|
|U13||3||Game||SEP-19||5:15 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U13||4||Game||SEP-21||5:15 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U13||5||Coach Pick Game||SEP 28 - OCT-02||Varied Times and Locations||U13 Coach Pick Groups|
|U15||G1||Goalie Skills||SEP-23 &|
|6:00 PM - 7:45 PM|
7:30 PM - 9:15 PM
|U15||1||Game||SEP-25||2:30 PM - 6:30 PM|
|U15||2||Game||SEP-26||5:15 PM - 10:00 PM|
|U15||3||Game||SEP-28||4:00 PM - 8:45 PM||U15 Day 3 Groups|
|U15||4||Game||OCT-01||1:15 PM - 6:00 PM|
|U15||5||Coach Pick Game||Oct 2-8||Varied Times and Locations|
|U18||G1||Goalie Skills||SEP-27||6:00 PM - 7:00 PM|
|U18||G2||Goalie Skills||SEP-28||9:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|U18||1||Game||SEP-29||5:15 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U18||2||Game||SEP-30||6:00 PM - 10:00 PM||U18 Day 2 Groups|
|U18||3||Game||OCT-02||6:15 PM - 9:45 PM|
|U18||4||Game||OCT-03||5:15 PM - 8:45 PM|
|U18||5||Coach Pick Games||Oct 5-8||Varied Times and Locations|