House League Info
North West House League Information 2018/19 Season
The Crowfoot Hockey Association is part of the North West House League (NWHL) together with the Bow River and Northwest Warriors Hockey Associations. All three Associations work together to put forth a great House League experience for our Crowfoot Families
The 2018-19 season will be North West House League’s fourth year. Our past three years have been a success and it was determined that there is a considerable amount of interest for this stream of hockey. It is a viable option for many families, but note that if your child is new to hockey, house league or community (Crowfoot) hockey are both suitable choices. Players are to choose one program only.
The House League Program will be offered in addition to the traditional community/Crowfoot Hockey for Novice (born 2011 and 2010), Atom (born 2009 and 2008) and PeeWee (born 2007 and 2006) aged players.
Some of the highlights for House League include:
- Two ice times per week. This will typically include one practice and one game per week once the game/regular season commences. The Schedule is currently set as below:
- Novice Ice times will be Sunday morning games and a practice during the week (3 out of 4 on Friday evenings and 1 out of 4 on Thursday evening)
- Atom Ice Times will be Saturday morning games and a practice during the week (3 out of 4 on Wednesday evenings and 1 out of 4 on Thursday evening)
- PeeWee Ice Times will be Saturday afternoon games and a practice during the week on Wednesday evenings.
- Evaluations will consist of 3 ice times in September.
- The HL Coordinators make their best efforts to balance the teams.
- Teams will practice in early October. The regular schedule will commence in mid-October and end in early March with a two week Christmas break. We plan to have 35 to 40 ice times scheduled per player.
- Ice times will be scheduled at Crowchild Twin Arenas in Scenic Acres and West Hillhurst Arena.
- No fundraising is allowed. The purchasing of ice for additional practices, exhibition games, and tournaments is not permitted.
- Due to the challenges of forming balanced teams and coach placement, there will be no friend requests offered. Only sibling requests will be considered.
Some of the differences between the House Leagues and Community (Crowfoot) Hockey include:
- House League offers a set schedule for the hockey season.
- With Community Hockey, players are evaluated to teams with players of similar abilities. Players are scheduled for two to three ice times a week and are varied. House League teams are balanced and all skill levels are on each team.
- House teams will NOT be sanctioned to play in any tournaments (in Calgary or outside of Calgary) or exhibition games.
- There will be NO cash calls/fund raising requirement, which is significantly less then what teams in the Community Hockey experience.
- Hockey fees for the House League are less than the Community Hockey fees mainly due to the different ice requirements and other fees required between the two streams. The 2018 House League fee registration fee will be$725.
- The NW House League will consist of 8 Novice teams ,8 Atom teams and 4 PeeWee teams. Maximum team size is 18. We will wait-list players after these limits have been reached.
- Ice times will be 60 minutes in length, and for Peewee games 75 mins.
- Goalie rotation will be encouraged in Novice and Novice teams are provided with equipment. Atom and PeeWee teams will have two designated goalie on a team with their own equipment where registration permits.
- Players will keep their game jersey at the end of the season.
- Players are to wear their team jersey for their practice ice times. Full equipment is needed including mouth guards. See the Equipment List under "Resources", "Parents" on our website if you need more information.
- Jerseys, socks, team and individual photo memory mate are included in the registration fees.
- New for 2018: 'Team Snap', an online tool with your child's team info and schedule will be provided and included with your fees.
- Games will follow all Hockey Calgary Rules and games will adhere to the Fair Play Code.
- One parent in each household must take the “Parent Respect In Sport” (RIS) online Course.* See below for more info. The RIS course now has a four year expiry. Those parents that took this course previous to 2015 will have to recertify prior to registration.
- Coaching requirements for both House League teams can be found on our website. Please note there is a change this year at the Atom age group - coaches will not be required to hold the Checking Certification. Information can be found on our website under the Coach tab. [Requirements may include: Respect In Sport - Coach Program (online), Safety program (online), Coach Stream, or equivalent (online and classroom/on-ice). Coach certifications fees are reimbursed by Crowfoot Hockey.
- Coaching selection will be managed by House League Coordinators. If you are interested in coaching on your child’s team, we will be providing links to submit your coach application.
- The NW House League is supported by Crowfoot Hockey, Hockey Calgary and the Calgary Flames Foundation.
- Volunteering is required from all parents. All HL teams require Coaches, a Team Manager, Score Keepers, and Time Keepers, as well as other various team positions.
- Coach development for both House and Community Hockey teams are the same.
- Space is limited for the House League while there are currently no space restrictions for Community (Crowfoot) Hockey.
How to Register
Registration will begin on June 1st, 2018. There will be a “Registration” page found on our website which will contain the link for the Hockey Canada Registration (HCR) online registration system or the registration form that can be handed in with cheque payment(s).
*If you are new to hockey, you must first take the Parent “Respect In Sport” online course before you can register, i.e. get access to use the Hockey Canada Registry. The fee for this course is $12.60.
This is the link:
https://hockeyalbertaparent.respectgroupinc.com Choose “Crowfoot” as your hockey association.
(Do not choose Crowfoot Junior C or Coyotes.) The $12.60 is not reimbursed by our Association and we do not have a ‘code’.
You can elect to choose the NW House League or the Crowfoot (Community) Hockey Program. Players are only able to participate in one league for the hockey season. Players may change leagues between seasons only.
Should you have any questions regarding this program, please contact:
Coaching selection will be managed by House League Coordinators. If you are interested in coaching on your child’s team, we will ask you to fill out the online application.